Although the town of Witham (pronounced “Wit-ham”) had a football team up until the outbreak of WW2 in 1939, the club was effectively disbanded on the declaration of hostilities, and not reformed again until 1948 - a fact represented by the Phoenix on the club crest.
The reformed club played at the home of Crittall Athletic (now Braintree Town) for many years until finally finding a home of their own on what was previously open land on the Spa Road site, taking up residence in 1975.
The neat well-maintained ground is reached following a quite long winding approach road, which opens up into a car park in front of the clubhouse entrance. This is well appointed, and once inside the ground itself, it is apparent that quite a lot of improvements have been carried out in recent years.
For some time, the only structure of any description was the long, low roofed stand, with about 150 seats in the centre portion, straddling the half way line on the far side of the pitch. This has since been brightened up by the addition of a yellow advertsing fascia, incorporating the club crest in the centre.
Both ends have a couple of shallow steps, and are covered with more or less identical metal clad roofs, and similar backs; each supported by numerous struts. A white painted brick wall surrounds the pitch.
At present the clubhouse side of the pitch, on which the dugouts are situated, has hard standing, but nothing in the way of shelter. However, given developments thus far, it will come as no surprise if a shelter of some description is not erected before too long, particularly given the proximity to the clubhouse ... and a source of half-time income for the club.
Turn off the A12 at the Witham sign, then left at the first set of lights into Spinks Lane. Turn right at the end of the road, and follow the road under the railway bridge. Ground is 100 yards on the left.