Tucked away behind the Victoria Hospital, Wimborne’s well-maintained Cuthbury ground has been the club’s home since their inception in 1878. The most immediately striking feature of the ground is the pitch, which slopes markedly down towards the far touchline, and is accentuated by the stepped white-painted wall that surrounds the playing surface.
A small timber stand with changing rooms, and 100 benches originally stood on the half way line on the allotment side of the pitch. It was built in 1920 and lasted 50 years before it was pulled down in 1970. Apart from the two dugouts that side of the pitch is now open, giving those tending their allotments behind, a good view of the action.
The original stand was replaced by a small covered area immediately opposite, built in front of the original clubhouse and changing rooms. There is also a small area for Directors to the right of this. The building itself dates from 1950. Adjacent is a tea bar, whilst further cover was erected on either side, in about 1970 thereby providing cover along the entire touchline. Seating is in the form of wooden planks on top of brick supports. The first floodlights went up at around the same time, but were replaced in 1982, and upgraded once more ten years later.
Whilst the area behind the near goal remains uncovered, there is protection from the elements at the opposite end. This is essentially a further extension of the cover provided along the near touchline, with a single row of benches, added in the early 1980s. The club name is picked out in white lettering against the black background of the rear wall.
The most recent addition to the ground is a smart new clubhouse, opened by England World Cup hero Alan Ball. This is very well appointed and is entered from the car park off Cowgrove Road.
Exit the A31 towards Wimborne Minster, and follow the signs for Blandford. The ground is signposted at the entrance to Cowgrove Road, near the Victoria Hospital.