A Nomad-Online© website
www.nomad-online.co.uk

Non League Football Under The Microscope

Please email me with any comments or amendments

BuiltWithNOF

Eastbourne Borough fans celebrate - August Bank Holiday Monday 2003                                Photograph by Sam Hicks

Whitstable Town FC

The Belmont Ground, Belmont Road,Whitstable, Kent CT5 1QP
Telephone: 01227 266012
Nickname:
Kent League
Website

Note Although the Belmont Ground (then merely a field owned by a Mr George Holden) first hosted football 1888, and was periodically ‘home’ to Whistable Town FC it wasn’t until around 1909 that it became the permanent home it is today. Records for a ‘Town’ club date from 1886, although there is evidence of a match between Whitstable United and Whitstable College the previous year.

What is known however, is that a Whitstable Town club was playing at Saddleston’s Fields and another field at Westmeads, as well as the Belmont for a number of years, before making the latter home in 1896. The club then splintered soon afterwards, with a new club – Whitstable United – possibly playing on a pitch in Joy Lane; whilst Town remained at the Belmont until the two came together again in 1900.

Although the Belmont was officially the home ground, matches were also played at the Manor House, and in 1908 the club moved briefly to a new ground in Church Road before moving back to the Belmont permanently within a year. The club celebrated its return by erecting a timber stand with glass sides and dressing rooms underneath. Sadly, although this was added to after the Great War, it was all demolished when the ground was requisitioned by the War Department during WW2.

When the club regained use of the ground, work began on developing it once again.  A old café building was converted into dressing rooms, the ground was enclosed, and a perimeter rail erected. The current stand was built three years later at a cost of £600; and in 1954 the covered terrace was constructed at the Gasworks End of the ground. More recent additions are the clubhouse (albeit as long ago as 1972) and floodlights (1989). DB