One of the founder members of the present Kent League, early records of Sevenoaks Town are very few. However, on 26 April 1893 the club played Royal Arsenal, at the time the only professional team in the South of England, with over 1,000 spectators turning up to watch the game at Knole Paddock. The proceeds were divided between two local hospitals.
In 1951 Sevenoaks Town amalgamated with St. Johns United, a local side, and became members of the Kent Amateur League (Western Region). In 1984 the Western and Eastern Regions of the Kent Amateur League were amalgamated to become the present Kent County Football League, with Sevenoaks winning the Premier Division in its first season; and again in seasons 1995/96 and 2002/03. The latter triumph saw the club achieve senior status and return the Kent League after an absence of a century.
The club has carried out a significant amount of work to its ground at Greatness Park in recent years, including the provision of floodlights and two small seated stands on either side of an earlier structure on the half-way line. The ground is also enclosed by a rather forbiding black metal perimeter fence; whilst a new changing room complex has been built adjacent to the playing area, whereas before it was some distance away at the entrance to the park.
Despite all this sterling work however, the club is hampered by the fact that Greatness Park remains a public recreation area a little way outside of Sevenoaks itself, and closer to the village of Seal. Any further progress will be hindered by the presence of an enormous hill behind the far goal.
Apparently this was to be converted into a ski slope at one time but instead allows the ‘casual’ spectator a superb - and totally free - view into the ground from the path that runs along its summit, and down behind the rear of the stands. There is even a bench on which to sit down.
Adjacent to the A25 between Seal and Sevenoaks
Bat and Ball (BR): three quarters of a mile