A Nomad-Online© website
www.nomad-online.co.uk

Non League Football Under The Microscope

Please email me with any comments or amendments

BuiltWithNOF

Eastbourne Borough fans celebrate - August Bank Holiday Monday 2003                                Photograph by Sam Hicks

Odd Down FC

Lew Hill Memorial Ground
Combe Hay Lane
Odd Down
Bath
BA2 8PA

Telephone: 01225 832491

Website

Nickname: The Down

Shelter behind the near goal

Near touchline & dugouts

Stand touchline

Dressing Rooms

Founded in 1901, Odd Down FC spent their formative years on pitches at Stirtingate Farm and at the Quarr Ground, before moving to Combe Hill Lane in the 1930s. The club was finally able to purchase the ground in 1952 and it was re-named in memory of long-serving former President Lew Hill, did much to sceure the site for The Down.

In the early days at Combe Hay Lane players changed in a small shack and washed by means of milk churns full of cold water, brought down from the Burnthouse Inn on the main road. After WW2, a redundant building which stood at the back of a house called The Limes was transported across and used until it burnt down. Today, the dressing rooms, which date from the mid-1980s are situated outside the ground itself.

Also outside the ground is the clubhouse, built by members over a five year period and opened in 1973.

The fact that the above facilities are outside the confines of the ground itself, means that the latter has a somewhat spartan appearance. The pitch slopes upwards towards the top end, as evidenced by the slightly stepped perimeter wall that encloses it.

Two rather lonely-looking dugouts straddle the half-way line on one side; whilst there is a rather basic shelter that stands behind the near goal.

Midway along the touchline opposite the dugouts is a modest, yet rather neat stand, albeit with a view slightly obstructed by supporting pillars.

The stand is named after Paul Richards, a former club member, who was also a founder member of the social club. It dates from around 1993 when the club gained promotion to the Premier Division of the Western League. Midway through the 2002-03 season it had to survive a fire after vandals broke in and set it ablaze. Fortunately, it was repaired and as a consequence, an eight foot high wall now surrounds the ground.

If visiting in winter, be warned: Odd Down is situated high above the the city of Bath to the north, and can be rather chilly.

Ground details
Capacity: 1,000
Seats: 160
Floodlights: Yes

Directions
Situated behind Odd Down Park & Ride on main A367 Bath to Exeter road

By rail and bus
No railway station at Odd Down. Nearest station is Bath (40 walk) or bus ride