The current Liskeard Athletic FC was formed in 1946 after WW2, and Lux Park has always been their home. The ground and surrounding area however, has a much older history. Until 1912, when the ground went up for auction, both the cricket club and football club of the time enjoyed tenancy for a nominal rent of just a shilling a year. The owner, Viscount Clifton, agreed to sell for £300 providing the ground was used for sports.
In the spring of 1922 a field adjoining the cricket ground was purchased for £500. According to Kerry Miller, deals were struck with a local man who had a slaughter house in one corner. The dividing hedge was removed and the first game played on 9 September 1922 against Woodland Villa.
Unfortunately the club folded in 1935 with heavy debts, and the local rugby club took up residence until the new football club was formed after the war, with Moorswater FC playing at Lux Park for one year in the interim.
Dressing rooms were built at the St. Cleer Road end of the ground in 1961 but fell victim to a road improvement scheme seven years later.
In 1965 the concrete post and rail perimeter was erected, and in the late 1980s a new standing enclosure was added. However, this was destroyed by gales in January 1990 and was replaced with the structure that now stands along the near touchline, with the dugouts immediately in front. The clubhouse at the far end of the same touchline was added around the same time.
The main stand at the St. Cleer Road end of the opposite touchline, has a modest number of saddle-type seats fixed to the wooden steps, and looks a lot older than it actually is. Actually built as recently as 1989, it replaced a much larger, older structure of indeterminate age.
The modern facilities of the sports centre stand behind the far goal at Lux Park, whilst the busy St. Cleer Road runs behind the near goal, protected only by a net to catch hopeful, but wayward attempts on goal.
Liskeard joined the SW League in 1966 and were twice winners and twice runners-up in a four year period in the mid to late 1970s. Having won the league in 1978/79 they joined Division One of the Western League, and won promotion by finishing third at the first attempt.
They were twice runners-up, and champions in 1987/88. However, like Falmouth Town were forced to return to the SW League in 1995 after 16 seasons, due to the increased travelling costs.
Take the Tavistock Road (A390) from town centre. After half a mile turn left into St. Cleer Road and the ground is 200 yards on the left.
Half a mile from Liskeard (BR) station.