Although officially formed in 1908, the roots of Hertford Town go back to 1901 and the formation of Port Vale Rovers FC. It wasn’t long before a general demand for the club to carry the town name resulted in permission being granted for a name change to Hertford FC. A merger with Hertford United resulted in a further name change to Hertford Town FC, although not a senior club at that time.
For several years the club used Hartham Park as the only ground available, although the junior clubs Horns and Blue Cross had private enclosures at Hertingfordbury Park and Mutton Close respectively. There was great rivalry between all of the clubs, and in 1908 the Blue Cross amalgamated with the Town, marking their official birth as a senior club, with Hertingfordbury Park their home.
The ground is situated in a rural setting, down a narrow lane which leads over the River Lea on the outskirts of the town. The main stand with its pitched roof and wooden floor dates from 1959 and seats 200 on a mixture of the original wooden tip-seats, and more modern plastic replacements. As always with designs of this type, the view is slightly obscured at the sides but it is worth it to see such a fine example preserved. The stand in fact, replaced an earlier building put up when the ground was first developed after the Great War, but burnt down in 1946.
Until fairly recently there was an area of covered terrace opposite the stand on the River Lea side of the ground. This was originally erected in 1950, and extended the following year but has clearly not survived. There is however, a slightly younger terrace that extends behind the car park goal; the other end of the pitch being undeveloped.
A large white portakabin which serves as the clubhouse was erected in January 1992, and stands inside the main gate, fronted by a large ‘paddock’ area. The building is in fact the third clubhouse to stand at the ground. The original wooden building was replaced in 1974 only for its successor to be burnt down in 1991.
The current floodlights date from 1965, and replaced an earlier inferior set erected nine years earlier.
From the A414 (Gascoyne Way) through the town towards Hatfield, turn left into West Street and after a short while you will see the lane leading to the ground on the right.
Hertford North (BR) & Herford East (BR) - both 1 mile.