Privett Park was opened in 1937 and was home to Gosport FC until the outbreak of WW2 just two years later. Thankfully the ground survived and became home to the newly formed Gosport Borough Athletic Club, founded just two weeks after the D-Day landings in 1944 in an initiative to bring back organised football, athletics, swimming and cycling to the town.
During the late 1970s and early 1980s Gosport were one of the top clubs in the Southern League, and although relegated in 1985, bounced back at the first attempt. The Club enjoyed its highest ever finish in the 1988/89 season when seventh place in the Premier Division was achieved. Unfortunately, a mass exodus of players and a change in the management saw the Gosport relegated to the Southern Division and two years later (1992) to the Jewson Wessex League where they have remained.
No real improvements were required to the ground during the Southern League years by virtue of the large 500 seat groundstand that dominates one touchline. There are no seats, only wooden steps but the structure can accommodate around 450 spectators. The stand also houses the dressing rooms, which were originally housed in a nearby cricket pavilion.
New floodlights were installed during the 2004 close season and are higher than those pictured, and (where applicable) not attached to the stand roof.
An interesting feature can be found the opposite side of the pitch. Here there is a small metal shelter, with its interior painted in the club colours and housing a solitary park bench.
It is known to the Boro' faithful as "Harry's Shed" after Harry Mizen. It was Harry and his friends who erected the "new shelter" after the old one fell into disrepair. Harry was the Club's President until his death in September 2004. There are now moves afoot to relocate "Harry's Shed" to the area behind the north goal (opposite end to the clubhouse) and build a new covered area where the shed used to be.
The clubhouse is situated behind the near goal and was opened in 1972. There is a small overhang which provides some additional cover for those spectators who prefer not to venture too far from their half-time drink.
One recent addition to the ground is a new toilet portacabin adjacent to the blue portacabin (left of the stand in the third pic down on the left) to comply with Southern/Isthmian League grading requirements. The blue portacabin is now a "fitness suite" and there is a club shop caravan located near the tea bar at the club house end.
Exit the M27 at junction 11, and take the A32 from Fareham to Gosport. After approximately 3 miles turn right at the Brockhurst roundabout into Military Road, passing through ‘HMS Sultan’ (RN base on either side of the road). Turn left into Privett Road at the next roundabout and the ground is 300 yards on the left.
Rail and bus
Two miles from Portsmouth Harbour (BR) or Fareham (BR).