A visit to Weycourt is enhanced by a knowledge of its interesting history, which is testament to how much can achieved with a little imagination and determination.
The current club has its origins as Goldalming United FC, formed in 1950 by ex-pupils of Godalming Grammar School. Between 1950-71 the club played at the Recreation Ground. However, In 1970 Surrey Senior League side Farncombe collapsed, leaving their ground in Meadrow vacant. Godalming took over the debts and tenancy, changing their name to Godalming & Farncombe FC, and the ground to Weycourt in the process.
The original pitch was where the nearby Weycourt Sheltered Residence now stands and a considerable amount of work was undertaken on the new playing area, which was built on the site of an old waste tip. The club was helped out by Waverley Council when drainage problems and subsidence meant they had to find a temporary home at Broadwater Park.
The club was accepted into the Combined Counties League for the start of the 1978/80 season, and a year later the name was changed again, to Godalming Town FC.
In 1985 another local club, Addlestone & Weybridge, was disbanded and, before their ground at Liberty Lane was demolished, Godalming purchased the stand and perimeter fence for £225 and £50 respectively. The stand was re-erected at Weycourt, with seating and a fascia added.
The next development came in 1992 when the Guildford Football Appeal (formed in an atempt to return the town’s name to senior football, following the collapse of Guildford City in 1977) donated a sum of money towards floodlights, and in return the name of the club was changed yet again, to Goldalming & Guildford FC.
Further recycling followed in 1995, when a new turnstile building was erected incorporating a turnstile from Millwall’s old ground; and in 1996 the Clubhouse was refurbished.
Weycourt remains a neat and tiday ground, with further plans in place to bring it up to Isthmian League standard. All the facilities are along the near touchline, with a few steps leading up to the pitch.
The dugouts are to the left of the stand, with the dressing rooms behind. There is a good sized car park which fronts onto the clubhouse, which includes a a couple of inscribed bricks that bear testimony to the first tenants at the ground. The turnstile is reached by walking around to the left. Adjacent to the turnstile is a tea bar area.
During the 2005 close season, the club changed its name for a fifth time, albeit back to one of its previous incarnations, that of Goldalming Town.
A3100 from Guildford: Proceed past the Out & About Hotel on the left, and ‘Save’ Petrol Station on the right; then take the first right after 50 yards.
A3100 from Godalming: The ground will be found on the left by the Leathern Bottle PH.
Farncombe (BR): three quarters of a mile.