Founded in 1890 Alwyns Lane has been home to Chertsey Town since 1929, when it was left by local philanthropist Sir Edward Stern, purely for the use of the “premier club in the parish”. The local cricket club also benefited from the donation of an adjacent field. Prior to that the club had played at a number of venues in the town, including The Grange until the outbreak of the Great War in 1914; and subsequently The Hollows.
Soon after taking residence at Alwyns Lane the first building on the site, a wooden changing hut was constructed, but until that time, players changed at The Bell PH nearby. A more modern changing room block, opened in 1988, now stands in the same spot as the original.
The ground’s main focal point is the impressive stand, built in 1954 by volunteers. Now over fifty years old it looks better than ever, with seating and paintwork in the club colours. A corrugated iron cover at the far (Grogmore Farm) end of the ground, built in 1960 did not fare so well, and lasted only three seasons before it was destroyed by a storm, To this day, that end of the ground remains the only side open to the elements.
Instead a new covered area, with a very low cantilever-type roof was erected opposite the main stand in 1963. There is one shallow step of terracing, and handy barriers placed for spectators to lean on. Further concrete terracing extends around the ground. Around the same time, a prefabricated clubhouse was erected adjacent to the stand before being replaced in the late 1970s by the current brick building, which has since been extended.
Further fairly basic cover is provided at the Alwyns Lane end of the ground. After WW2 a substantial grass bank (10 feet by 30 feet) was created at this end, but this was gradually cut back and disappeared altogether in the early 1980s.
The club initially competed in the West Surrey League and later in other junior leagues in Surrey. Chertsey joined the Metropolitan League in 1964, and after spells in the Greater London and Spartan Leagues became members of the Athenian League in 1976. A mid-table finish was the best the club achieved in 1981/82 and, after one season in Division Two (South) of the Isthmian League they were relegated to the Combined Counties League at the end of the 1984/85 season. They returned as runners-up the following season and, on reorganisation of the Isthmian League in 1991, were placed in the new Division Three. They achieved promotion within a season, and then promotion to Division One and then the Premier Division in successive seasons: 1993/94, 1994/95.
The period also saw good runs in the FA Cup, reaching the third qualifying round on three occasions; a feat repeated in 2002/03. Around the same time, Chertsey also performed well in the FA Trophy. Their spell in the top flight lasted two seasons before relegation, and then a further demotion back to Division Two in 1999/00.
The Curfews have also registered some good runs in the FA Vase: reaching the quarter finals in 1987/88, eventually losing to Bashley in their eleventh tie of the competition. The club also made it to the quarter finals in 1991/92, and the fifth round in 2003/04.
The record attendance stands at 2,150 for the visit of Aldershot for an Isthmian Division Two fixture in December 1993.
Alwyns Lane is off Windsor Street, at the north end of the shopping centre.
Chertsey (SW Trains), 10 mins walk.