A Nomad-Online© website
www.nomad-online.co.uk

Non League Football Under The Microscope

Please email me with any comments or amendments

BuiltWithNOF

Eastbourne Borough fans celebrate - August Bank Holiday Monday 2003                                Photograph by Sam Hicks

Brentwood Town FC

The Arena
Brentwood Centre
Doddinghurst Road
Brentwood
Essex
CM15 9NN

Telephone: 01277 215151 x713

Website

Nickname: The Blues

Stand

Near touchline from entrance

Far touchline

Dugouts

Football in the town of Brentwood dates back to the 19th century when the original Brentwood FC reached the quarter finals of the FA Cup in 1886, before losing 3-1 to eventual winners Blackburn Rovers. In the 1950s and 1960s the town had a successful amateur club, Brentwood & Warley, who were three times winners of the Delphian League. In 1965 they turned “professional”, becoming Brentwood Town. The club became a force in the Southern League and reached the 3rd Round of the FA Cup 1969-70 where they lost by the odd goal to Northampton Town. However, at the end of that season the club effectively folded and amalgamated with Chelmsford City.

The current Brentwood Town FC was founded in 1955 as Manor Athletic and played at King George's Playing Fields until 1957 when they moved to Larkin's Playing Field. Following the demise of the original Town club, Manor changed their name to Brentwood Athletic, before becoming Brentwood FC in 1972. At the end of the 2003/04 season, the club changed its name once again, adopting the name of its more illustrious predecessor.

In 1992 Larkin's finally lost its senior status and the Club had to enter a ground sharing arrangement with East Thurrock in order to continue in the Essex Senior League. With the help of the local council Brentwood at last found a new home at The Brentwood Centre and the first game there was played on October 9th 1993.

The ground is enclosed by a wooden perimeter fence, with two dugouts on the far touchline. Accommodation for spectators is provided by quite a neat wooden stand with approximately 50 seats to one side. There is a clubhouse immediately behind. The start of the 1999/00 season saw the most significant changes since the move to the Brentwood Centre in 1993, with the installation of the club's first floodlights.

Ground details
Capacity: 1,000
Seats: 50
Floodlights: Yes

Directions
The centre of Brentwood is approximately 1½ miles from junction 28 of the M25. From the eastern end (Wilsons Corner) of the High Street, turn North into Ongar Road. At the third mini roundabout take the right hand fork into Doddinghurst Road. The Brentwood Centre is a further half a mile, on the right just after the A12 bridge. Once you enter the Centre the football ground entrance is in the far right hand corner of the car park. There are normally vast amounts of parking available, but beware when special events are taking place at the Brentwood Centre, as the car park can then become very congested.

By rail
Brentwood station is on the Great Eastern Line, approximately 35 minutes from Liverpool Street, and is about 1¾ miles from the Brentwood Centre.