Bicester Town FC was formed from an amalgamation between Bicester Rovers and Bicester Harriers in the late nineteenth century, and in 1896 began playing on the town cricket field. Up until the Great War however, the early history of the club was marked by something of a nomadic existence: playing first at Banbury Road, a little way out of town. The club then moved back to Station Road, a ground originally shared by the two founding clubs; before moving to a pitch in London Road.
In the 1920s, Bicester reverted to the cricket field until in 1929 both they and the cricket club were given the opportunity to use newly opened facilities in Oxford Road, this land having previously been used for golf. The ground was enclosed and the cricket pavilion dismantled and moved to the new site, where it was used for changing rooms.
Today, Oxford Road is a decent enough County League ground next door to the Rugby Club, just outside the town centre. The club does appear to suffer however, from the proximity of other sports and one imagines that this renders further expansion problematic.
The main focal point of the ground is the rather ramshackle pre-war stand (subsequently extended), dating from the early 1930s. This is of wood, corrugated iron, and brick construction along the near touchline to about the half way line, with the dugouts beyond. About half of the capacity of the stand has wooden benches, with shallow terraced steps in the other half for those preferring to stand.
Behind the near goal is the clubhouse and changing rooms (built in 1960) with the main entrance fronted by a small car park. Behind the goal are a few picnic-style benches which are no doubt popular in the summer months.
Exit the M40 at J9 and take the A41 towards Bicester. The ground is on the outkirts of the town, opposite the Tesco supermarket.